Minnesota Veterinary Hospital Blog
An Easter basket filled with candy is just too tempting for some pets to resist. Dogs may eat all of its contents while cats may chew on the plastic grass it contains. To prevent poisoning or a choking hazard, be sure to keep your children’s Easter baskets out of reach of pets. Xylitol, which is an artificial sweetener added to numerous types of candies, can cause liver failure and seizures. The primary ingredient in chocolate, theobromine, causes hyperactivity, increased heart rate, and seizures in severe cases.
Most pets are curious and need to investigate anything they don’t recognize. Plastic eggs and Easter grass are no exception. If your pet chews on a plastic egg, hard pieces of plastic could break off and get lodged in her throat. A single string of plastic grass could cause health hazards as well. Once your children find their baskets in the morning, they should keep them in their rooms with the door closed.
Photo Credit: A Dog's Life Photos / Getty Images
Whether you’re of Irish descent or not, you may enjoy celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with family and friends every March 17. This may involve eating foods and drinking beverages that you wouldn’t normally consume. If you’re a pet owner who plans to host a party this Friday, it’s important to review some safety tips before the guests arrive. Your pets can accidentally get themselves into trouble just because of their natural curiosity.